Friday, January 25, 2013

Bread is Crazy Expensive

Yeah.... no it is not.

"Oh then you must be baking your own bread.  I don't have time for that Carey."

Yeah... no I'm not.

I mean I can, and I have.  I make absolutely delicious bread.  I also can make my own biscuits and tortillas.  I do save money that way, but it is time consuming..

Guess what?  I buy bread for only pennies more than the ingredients to make it.  I can get a 20 count flour tortillas for $.79.  I can get a 20 count resturant grade hamburger buns for $2.

I even get bagels for about $1 a bag.

How?  It is called the wholesale bakery.  They buy up bread at or only a day or so past the expiration date and sell it for a fraction of the cost.  They have all sorts of stuff, including whole wheat.  You just have to check carefully that it isn't way past dates or for mold (rare). It is just as good as the stuff you pay three times as much for.  I promise.

Caution: you must freeze all that you will not consume within a week of purchase.  Otherwise it is totally fine.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing on this! Iy reminds me that I need to get my behind to a wholesale bakery rather than succumbing to the "oh we need bread *today*" problem." though we don't consume bread much, i do like to have at least some tortillas on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do the same thing! The day-old bread store (our name for it) is close to the house and easy to drop by on a typical grocery run.

    ReplyDelete